Owens Community College
Delivery Model: Design – Bid – Build
Project Cost: $1,279,000
Floor Area: 19,000 sf
Completed: August 2011
- This project, completed as part of a program expansion at the College, includes the complete renovation of a 19,000 sf facility from automotive and auto body repair, to a state of the art welding and training facility.
- The existing facility was completely renovated to include 60 new welding booths, new cutting areas, lay down areas, plasma cutting facilities, and design and layout areas. The space also has two classrooms, with associated offices for classroom activities.
- Mechanical and electrical renovations were extensive. All new welding exhaust systems were installed to meet current clean air standards. The new exhaust systems included arm mounted arc sensors to determine when welders were being used to ramp up exhaust systems on an as needed basis. This allows for a variable air flow and greater energy efficiencies. Separate exhaust systems were designed for the different welding systems to allow for maximum energy efficiencies.
- Electrical systems were completely replaced to accommodate the heavy welding loads. New transformation and distribution were installed, as well as new high bay energy efficient lighting, voice/data systems, and a new fire alarm system.
- Plumbing systems included new central gas systems for the welders, as well as individual bottle systems at each welding station for back up. New locker room and restrooms were constructed to accommodate the revised use group.
Architect Project Number: 201004F